Thursday, May 15, 2008

To assume is to make an ass out u and me.

It doesn’t take long for it to hit that I’m back in Toronto again. Oh, did I forget to mention? I’m back in the big city for a couple of days to visit the folks. I really love those two … they’re sweet, dependable and never quite understand what I’m saying. Really, I think parents should come with a disclaimer or something, like one of those pharmaceutical drug commercials:

Parents are not suitable for everyone. You may experience drossiness, strong headaches and bouts of paranoia. Please consult your doctor before visiting if any of the following apply to you:

1. High blood pressure.
2. Are pregnant or are nursing.
3. Suffer from any condition affecting your brain.

Anyway, I’m on the platform waiting for the subway and notice these two little blue eyes gazing at me in the distance. They quickly look away. She’s fair skinned and has long blond hair. She looks up again but this time reveals much more. Her face is round but is slightly disfigured. I noticed regions of black and blue. I can’t help but think of the terrible things that might have happened to this sweet, innocent young girl. She’s shown too much now and she knows it. This time she sets her sights to the floor. The floor is indifferent and never gives back. Not even a reflection and she takes comfort in that.

Maybe she’s in an abusive relationship. Maybe she was beaten or worse, raped. Get it together man, it doesn’t have to be all bad. Maybe she’s actually lucky … a survivor, a fighter. Maybe she had a bad car accident and survived. Maybe she’s an Olympic boxer and just won a tough fight. Maybe a figure skater who just had a bad fall. And as she sits in the seat across from me, I start to feel better. I remember never to make assumptions. It isn’t just her face that’s blue but the whole left side of her. And not a new blue but an old one. One that is deep and lies beneath her skin. Maybe she was born this way. Maybe she’s just like you and me.

2 comments:

7aki Fadi said...

So you are going to enjoy the long weekend with the parents? Cool! I am just pissed though because the weather is going to SUCK. Bad Victoria weekend weather, BAD.

As for the girl. Maybe she went for plastic surgery?

By the way, the subway is freako land man, seriously. Everyday I wish I didn't have to take it :( .

neutron said...

Couple of days with the parents and then off camping. Rain or shine, I can hardly wait.

Also, couldn't agree more, the subway is totally freako land.